Yesterday four of us hiked Diamondhead at 6am to see the sunrise. We got up and left The Ohia (where we live) at 5am and walked all the way through Waikiki and up the hill to the park entrance. I'm really not sure who's brilliant idea it was to get up at 4am and leave by 5, then walk all the way instead of taking the bus, well actually I do but I don't want to name names, but incredibly I was very awake by the time we got to the park! For most of you that know me, you are well aware of the fact that I'm not the best morning person. I prefer late hours to early early mornings so 4am was pushing it! But I'm glad we went because I had a spectacular time!
On the way up the sun started coming up over the mountains all gold and pink and lit the valley and the hills around us.Early in the hike I'd switched my shoes to sandals because I was getting blisters on my feet, but thankfully I didn't fall and kill myself in the sandals because I refused to hike in shoes :)
We got to the top of Diamondhead before the tour groups behind us and we got a chance to climb up on the cement lookout without kicking anyone off.

The views are indescribable so I've posted photos but they just don't do it justice. All of Waikiki was spread out below us in the morning light and there weren't that many people up there that early. We made it to the top around 8am I think, but we really didn't keep track of the time.
After enjoying the view, eating a tangerine, and taking copious amounts of photos, we decided to head back before the massive group of people went down before us. The way was steep but we m
anaged without any major mishaps :)This picture is of James and Crystal going down the steepest stairs known to man!
After the hike, hot and hungry, we all decided to go get some shaved ice at a place near where we live. Alas we were out of luck because it was closed at 8:30am! So we went to another place farther down the street but that one was closed till 10:30! Now seriously, who doesn't eat shaved ice at 8:30am? These people need to understand that they should open at the crack of dawn so hot hikers like ourselves can get our early morning dose of sugar! So we settled for a breakfast place almost next door to the apartments and we pigged out on eggs, hashbrowns, toast, bacon, and pancakes with coconut sprinkles :) Immediately thereafter we all went back to our rooms, and although I can't speak for everyone else, I went to take a long and well deserved nap!
No comments:
Post a Comment